Getting Married in Pierce County, Washington – 3 Easy Steps to Obtaining Your Marriage License

If you are being married in Pierce County, Washington, you will need a marriage license!

Here are 3 easy steps to secure a legal marriage license in Pierce County, Washington:

1) In-Person: Where To Apply For Pierce County Marriage License. You can apply in person at the Pierce County Auditors Office / Annex, located at 2401 S. 35th Street, Room 200, in Tacoma, Washington. The office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm

To apply for a license in Pierce County, you must be 18 years of age and both of you must make the in-person trek to the County Auditor's office. The marriage license will cost you $ 64 – cash, money order or cashier's check is accepted. Beware ~ personal checks are not accepted! If one or both parties are 17 years of age, they must have the consent of a parent.

Your Pierce County marriage license is good for any county in Washington State. So, for instance, if you purchase your license in Pierce County, you may be married in King, Kitsap, Snohomish Counties, to name a few.

Your marriage license is good for 60 days. If your license somehow expires, you will need to go through the entire process again and re-apply for another license.

Note: You may apply for your marriage license by mail if time and / or distance is a consideration. Please contact the County's Auditor office at 253-798-7435 for more specifics and information.

2) Wait! Do not Forget To Figure In Your Waiting Period To Get Married: T here is 3-day waiting period to use your license. Take a peak at your license documents when you pick them up and / or have them provided you and this will give you the "valid dates" for a wedding ceremony.

3) Find Someone To Activate Your Marriage License! Once you have your legal paperwork, you will need to find a Non-Denominational Officer, Minister, Priest, Rabbi or other to marry you. If you are being outside of a specific religious institution, you have a lot of flexibility on the person who can marry you.

To find a person who appeals to you, go to the "Google" and search for an Officiant under "Pierce County Officiant" or "Tacoma Minister."

Officiant fees veryly. If time allows, meet with a few candidates and make your selection from there. Working with a Non-Denominational Officer or Minister is a very personal experience and your goal is to find a person whose personality and approach to all things "wedding ceremony" appeals to you.

Best of luck!